Program FAQs

Program Frequently Asked Questions

How do I change my address, banking information, or other information?

If you have moved or changed your phone number, email, or other information, please email us at and give us the new information so that we may update our records.

If you change your banking information, please fill out, sign, and send in the Direct Deposit Form along with a voided check from the new account (if it is a checking account). You can send the information by mail, email, or fax.

I would like to switch institutions, programs, or advisors, what should I do?

Email with the details of your request. We will then forward your email to the DoD Program Manager, and let you know the result of your request.

I am writing a paper or giving a presentation. How do I acknowledge NDSEG funding?

You can simply state, “I was supported by the Department of Defense (DoD) through the National Defense Science & Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship Program.”

I would like to leave graduate school or otherwise discontinue NDSEG funding. What should I do?

Email us at and let us know the details of your situation. NDSEG Fellows may discontinue funding at any time, but without prior approval, you then forfeit the remainder of your NDSEG funding. You do not need to pay back the funding that you have used.

I received the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) at the same time as NDSEG. How do I handle this?

This decision is up to you as the Awardee. Please keep in mind that the NDSEG Fellowship Program is non-deferrable. For more information regarding the NSF GRFP, please contact their team directly.